Thursday, October 6, 2016

Puppy Missionary



It's pretty much impossible for you not to know by now that I have a puppy.  His overall cuteness overwhelms me on a regular basis and I can't help but share that cuteness with the world!

This dog has been an absolute blessing to me in so many ways and I felt it necessary to devote an entire blog post to describing the blessing that is Caspian Carl McCarthy.  It may be easy to assume that because I have a dog, I spend all my time with him and don't do anything else (especially ministry-related things).  Let me assure you, that's not the case at all!  

Here are the top 4 ways he has blessed me.

4. Caspian has given me the opportunity to look beyond myself.  As a single woman with no children, I have been able to concentrate fully on my own needs/desires for 24 years!  Having someone who relies on me fully for every need has changed the way I look at friends who are parents or are in a relationship that requires constant attention.  I find myself giving much more grace to mom/wife friends as they interrupt our conversations to get gum out of their child's hair or to answer their husband's phone call.  Never realized how self-centered I was until I had to put someone's needs before my own.  So important.

3. He is my companion, my cuddle mate, my best pal.  Can't tell you how good it feels to come home to a smiling face and wagging tail, to learn the discipline of training a puppy well, to feel him put his head on my leg and fall asleep, and to anticipate doing ministry with him (and having him protect me) over in Togo.

2. Having a dog has allowed me to relate to a whole new population of people.  Pet lovers make up a whole community of people I had no idea existed!  Pet stores, farmer's markets, dog parks, and even my own neighborhood have been great places to meet new people.  Having an adorable puppy just draws people to me like I've never experienced before, and I love the new relationships that are coming out of it.  For instance, I have lived in my dad's house for over a year now and have never had great relationships with our neighbors.  Caspian comes along and all of a sudden, our neighbors are coming over to say hi and I'm getting to know them and their families.  Puppy magic! ;)

1. Because of Caspian, I have had countless opportunities to be bold in my faith and to tell complete strangers about the ministry I'm called to in Togo.  Like I said, having a puppy just draws people over that probably wouldn't normally talk to me otherwise.  I cannot tell you how many times I've been able to tell people the reasoning behind getting Caspian - to protect me while I work with and empower the vulnerable populations in Togo, West Africa.  From a critic's perspective looking in at my constant social media footage of Caspian, it may look like I spend all my days just hanging out with him and not anything ministry-related, but let me tell you - socializing Caspian with other dogs and humans presents opportunity after opportunity to invite people to join me in supporting the ministry that God is calling me to.  How awesome is that?!

#puppymissionary
#blessed


2 comments:

  1. Dear Azlyn,
    Caspian is part of the every-day miracles in your life. We are so happy you have each other!
    Love,
    Grampa and Gramma Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Azlyn,
    Caspian is part of the every-day miracles in your life. We are so happy you have each other!
    Love,
    Grampa and Gramma Brothers

    ReplyDelete