Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Psych!

I'm reading through the book of Acts right now and one particular story has been challenging me.  In Acts 3:1-10, Luke writes about a beggar who has been lame since birth.  Every day he was carried to the temple to ask people for money.  The disciples John and Peter walked up to him and, like he did to everyone else that walked by the temple, the beggar asked for money.  Instead of giving him money, John and Peter healed him in the name of Jesus Christ and just like that he was able to walk, run, and jump for the first time in his life.

It made me wonder... How many times have I asked God for "money" when in all reality I needed "healing"?  Of course, I am speaking figuratively here...  But how many times have I asked for something futile when I know full well that God is capable of doing "immeasurably more than all we ask or think" (Ephesians 3:20)?

I wanted to give you a quick update on the "immeasurably more" that God has been working as of late, specifically in the missionary segment of my life.

For several months now I have been partnering with a missions agency called Converge Worldwide.  Together we had decided back in October that I would pursue a 1-2 year internship in Nigeria to give me full-time missions experience so that someday I would work to create my own ministry caring for vulnerable populations in the world; namely orphans and people with disabilities.  I had a "vision" trip planned to visit Nigeria this month and couldn't wait to start fundraising so I could move over there.  I kept asking God for safety while traveling to Nigeria and clarity on what His plan was for me over there.  After much struggle with getting my visa processed in time to go to Nigeria, the trip has been cancelled. So that's where the "psych" comes in.  [A few days ago I was reflecting on the past 10 months of my life and realized that God has opened and closed the doors (essentially saying "psych!" to me) to FIVE different ministry opportunities.  That's a lot of "psych's" in such a short period of time.]

Instead, an opportunity has come up to travel to Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) from February 15-20 to see if this might be a good place to do an internship instead.  

I have absolutely no idea what God has in store for this trip or for my future.  I have been learning through this process not to be defeated when plans change, because these changes always happen for good reason.  I prayed for "money" like the beggar and, like the beggar, I was given "healing" instead.  Continuously learning to trust in the Lord's sovereignty, providence, and provision through times of triumph and times of defeat.

Thank you for your continued prayers as I attempt (and often fail) to navigate God's will for full-time ministry.


1 comment:

  1. I am thinking that you will fulfill God's will for full-time ministry, but maybe in a different way. We get so busy in our daily lives that we often put up a barrier to listening to God, who is directing us to participate in everyday miracles. My dear late sister Iris set aside a time early in her morning to meditate. Her Bible was near, just in case she needed to refer to it, or even make this time to study the Bible and other writings. I, myself, have listened to God, leading to everyday miracles that other people described as "coincidences." I worked with the vulnerable population during my careers, trying to turn heartbreak into success. So many families in our own country need help and a hand up. May God bless you and give you peace in following your own path. Love and Hugs, Grandma Fran

    ReplyDelete